In addition to what has already been occurring, additional road construction, traffic crossover, ramp and lane restrictions will be implemented beginning Thursday along I-376 near the airport.
PennDOT District 11 is announcing a long-term eastbound I-376 crossover in Findlay and Moon townships, Allegheny County, will begin Friday night, May 19 (weather permitting).
Roadway reconstruction work on mainline I-376 in the eastbound direction will begin Friday night at 8 p.m. To accommodate this work the following traffic configuration and restrictions will occur:
- The left-hand lane of eastbound I-376 will be crossed over into the westbound lanes. This lane is the EXPRESS lane. All traffic using this lane will not have access to any exits in the work zone including the Eastbound Business Loop 376/Moon (Exit 50), Clinton (Exit 52), and Airport/East PA Turnpike 576 (Exit 53) interchanges. Eastbound traffic will be crossed back over near the McClaren Road interchange.
- The right-hand lane of eastbound I-376 will be shifted to the far right shoulder. This lane is the LOCAL lane. All access to exits must be made from the local lane.
- Any vehicle wider than 11 feet must use the express lane. Any vehicle wider than 12 feet 6 inches will not be permitted in either lane.
- Two lanes of traffic will be maintained on westbound I-376. A barrier will separate the westbound lanes and the crossed over eastbound lane.
- Emergency pull-off areas will be located in various locations throughout the work zone.
To prepare for the crossover, single-lane traffic on westbound I-376 will be implemented at 8 p.m. Friday night. Crews will conduct barrier installation and line painting. When the work is complete, the new configuration will be implemented. It is anticipated to occur after 8 p.m. on Saturday night.
The westbound crossover will remain in place until early October.
Additionally, PennDOT District 11 is announcing preparatory work on the eastbound I-376 ramp to the airport will begin Thursday, May 18 weather permitting. A shoulder restriction will occur on the ramp from eastbound I-376 to the airport from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays through Tuesday, May 30. Crews will conduct ramp widening work for future reconstruction activities.
The ramp will remain open to traffic during construction.
Motorists should use caution and allow extra time when traveling through the area.
Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 770 traffic cameras. 511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.