What is a REAL ID?
The REAL ID Act requires changes to state standards, procedures and requirements for the issuance of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
When Do I Need to Have a REAL ID?
Beginning May 3, 2023, Pennsylvanians will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, photo ID card, or another form of federally acceptable identification (such as a valid passport or military ID) to board a domestic commercial flight.
How Do I Get a REAL ID?
- REAL ID is not being enforced at this time in Pennsylvania.
- Your PA driver’s license is still valid for domestic flights.
- However, REAL ID is now available, so travelers can apply for REAL ID-compliant identification.
- For Pa. drivers who received their first learners permit, drivers license or photo ID after September 2003, PennDOT may already have your required REAL ID pre-verification documentation on file. Read more here.
- If you received your first Pa. learner’s permit, driver’s license or photo ID card before September 2003, you are not eligible for online pre-verification, but you can bring your required REAL ID documentation to any PennDOT Driver’s License Center for in-person pre-verification.
In partnership with the PA Dept. of Transportation and the TSA, we have compiled all the information you need to know.